By: Heather Dorak
We have all changed our clocks forward in preparation for summer, but have you done anything else to prepare for bathing suit season? The winter months can leave us feeling lazier thanks to the cold weather keeping us indoors. In preparation for the warmer weather ahead, it’s time to make some changes.
- Put on your bathing suit: Pulling your bathing suit out of storage now and putting it on may be scary for some but that’s the point. If you’re scared to put on your bathing suit, then you need to change a few things in your life. Committing to looking at yourself in the mirror with your bathing suit on can help determine what you need to do start doing now.
2. Start moving now: The more you can start being active now the more you will be willing to stick to your plan when the weather warms up. Warmer weather can lead to hanging out on a patio of a local restaurant, enjoying all day drink fests and losing focus on fitness. If you have a plan of attack now and see the benefits quickly, you’ll want to stick to your plan (and not skip a workout). Set it as a priority before joining in on the summer activities.
3. Not all calories are treated equal: If you want to look your best, you need to keep track of what you are putting into your mouth. Now, I am not necessarily saying count your calories, but if this works for you, great. All I am saying is to make good choices with what you eat. Make sure you are eating plenty of vegetables, lean protein and some healthy fats. Exercise is important, but the you food you use to fuel yourself is more important.
4. Sprint it out: It may not be warm enough quite yet to enjoy a nice long run so instead do sets of short distance sprints. They will blast calories in a short amount of time. For example, sprint one block as fast as you can, then jog or walk back. Keep up this pattern going for least 10 reps.
5. Try something new: To help beat the winter blues, try something new. It can help you get excited to be active again. Switching things up not only helps your body physically but mentally, too!
These tips aren’t the only ways in which you can prepare yourself for summer, but they’re a great start to help shake some winter ruts.
Heather fell in love with the SPX-style Pilates workout and experienced amazing results after just a short amount of time. Amazingly enough, this all happened at a time when she was in her last year of college at UCLA and considering her career options. It was a combined passion for health and fitness with her new found favorite workout that led Heather to open her first studio in Hollywood in 2006. At that time, she had a small goal in mind to introduce this amazing workout to the community. To Heather’s surprise, the phenomenon caught on very quickly, so much that she decided to expand her business and open three additional studios- Santa Monica, Venice and Brentwood.
When Heather is not fully involved with her studios, she love to run, dance, laugh, be with family and travel the world. Most days you can find Heather walking her dog on the beach, sipping on coffee at a local coffee shop, and/or drinking a local fresh cold pressed organic green juice. She loves supporting her community around her and being involved with them as much as possible.
Check out Heather on Social Media:
Access the nation's most talented fitness instructors anywhere, anytime, on any device.Join Free